Mr. Tyszka is a member of the firm’s Commercial Practice Group. His experience in advocacy, business, law, and politics spans more than two decades. Today, he concentrates his legal practice primarily on real estate and business matters that arise from interests in real estate.
Nicholas is a past chair of the Real Property Law Committee at the Chicago Bar Association and is a former member of the Forms & Contracts committee at the Chicago Association of REALTORS®.
He is one of eleven attorneys who participated on the committee which drafted the prevailing residential real estate contract in Illinois, the Multi-Board Residential Real Estate Contract 7.0. He is also one of the six (6) executive committee members who are entrusted to manage the form.
Mr. Tyszka sits on the board of directors of the Illinois Real Estate Lawyers Association, as well as the board of governors for the Catholic Lawyers’ Guild of Chicago.
Mr. Tyszka earned his undergraduate degree from the University of Notre Dame in 2000, graduating from college in three years. In the process, he became the first student in the university’s history to major in international peace studies. In addition, he minored in theology and concentrated in Catholic social tradition. He also holds a graduate business degree from Notre Dame. Both of Mr. Tyszka’s law degrees are from Loyola University Chicago School of Law, including his LL.M. in business and corporate governance law.
• LL.M., Loyola University Chicago
• J.D., Loyola University Chicago
• M.S.A., University of Notre Dame
• B.A., University of Notre Dame
• Illinois (2009)
Civic Service & Charitable Involvement
• ACOFP Education & Research Foundation (Board of Directors, 2016 to Present)
• ACOFP Auxiliary (Board of Directors, 2017 or 2018 to Present; Treasurer, 2021 to Present)
• Sovereign Military Hospitaller Order of Saint John of Jerusalem of Rhodes and of Malta (Knight of
Magistral Grace, 2016 to Present)
Scholarship & Teaching
Mr. Tyszka’s advanced legal education focused on the global economic collapse that occurred in 2007 and
2008, and his LL.M. thesis was entitled: “Wall Street Got Drunk: The Startling Reality of Our Economy & the Twelve Steps That It Needs to Recover.”
Mr. Tyszka is a registered Title Agent in Illinois for the following underwriters: Attorneys’ Title Guaranty Fund, Chicago Title Insurance Company, Commonwealth, Fidelity National Title Insurance Company, First American Title Insurance Company, Old Republic Title Insurance Company, and Stewart Title Guaranty Company. He is also a licensed real estate managing broker and continuing education instructor in Illinois.
Other Professional Designations & Certifications
Mr. Tyszka became a Certified Divorce Financial Analyst® (CDFA™) in 2011, trained in analyzing the financial consequences of divorce and dissolution of marriage. He is also a certified arbitrator and mediator in the Circuit Court of Cook County.
A frequent commentator on real estate forms and contracts in Illinois, Mr. Tyszka presents regularly to title companies and real estate brokerages throughout the state. Some of his bar-related presentations have included:
• Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education (IICLE), “Residential Real Estate” (September 9, 2021).
• Chicago Bar Association (CBA), “Real Estate Transactions in Virtual Land” (October 22, 2020).
• Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education (IICLE), “Residential Real Estate: Tricks & Traps” (April 2, 2020).
• Chicago Bar Association (CBA), “The COVID-19 Pandemic: Impact on Real Estate Transactions” (April 10, 2020).
• Illinois Real Estate Lawyers Association (IRELA), “Multi-Board 7.0: What Lawyers Need to Know About the New Residential Form” (May 9, 20219; February 7, 2019; February 5, 2019).
• Chicago Bar Association (CBA), “Multi-Board 7.0: Dealing with Attorney Review & Inspection Requests
Under the Latest Iteration of Illinois’ Most Popular Real Estate Contract” (April 11, 2019).
• Chicago Bar Association (CBA), “Multi-Board 7.0: What Lawyers Need to Know About the New Residential Form” (February 6, 2019).
• CBA Record, “COVID-19 Causes Real Concerns for Residential Real Property Lawyers” (May/June 2020).
Honors & Awards
• Biggest Heart Award, Center for the Homeless (South Bend, Indiana)